Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Is There an End?

So a few weeks ago Robert went to the Church Orchard apple sale and bought the family about 10-11 bushels of apples. We gave away a few boxes, but I get to work through the rest. So I started drying some apples with my mom's old dehydrator that she gave me several years ago (that I had yet to use until now). Well the next night I got the next batch ready, plugged in the dehydrator and nothing happened. Turns out the fan went out so I couldn't use it. The wonderful Tanya came to the rescue again and let me use hers for the night. That left me with having to buy a new dehydrator.

So then I spent last Friday making more applesauce. Tanya lent me her Victoria strainer which helped things to go faster. The great thing was that I ended up making the exact amount of applesauce as I had bottles for with the first major batch I made (three large saucepans and two pressure cookers full of cooking apples).

My new dehydrator arrived on Saturday so now I have been drying apples again as well as making apple leather. I still have a ton of apples left in the garage and it seems like there is no end to it. Some day I will have all the apples processed!

1 comments:

Kristi M. said...

If anything ever happens, we all know where to go for apple anything. To be honest, I have no idea how to make apple anything. Next year, I really should learn.