Thursday, March 26, 2009

Thoughtful Thursday- The Holy Temple, chapter 1

I finally picked a new book to read and started The Holy Temple by Boyd K. Packer yesterday. I remember reading the short pamphlet based on this book years before, but even though we have had the book for a long time I haven't read it.

The first chapter was a very basic chapter for those familiar with the temple, but there were some great insights that I loved. First is this quote, "Central to the message about temples is the fact that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, the Only Begotten of the Father; that He lives; that He directs His servants upon the earth." I love how the Savior is so essential to the teachings in the temple. The temple organizes families according the our Heavenly Fathers plan and allows us to be together eternally thanks to the Savior.

President Packer also tells a wonderful story of a family in Guatemala that was transformed by attending the temple. A trip that would have taken them many days and hardships to achieve. He ends the chapter with this, "Firmly resolve now that you will do everything you can do to aid temple work and the genealogical work that supports it and to assist every living soul and every soul beyond the veil in every way you can with every resource at your disposal. Come to the temple!" I know following this counsel has helped us so much, but we still need to strive to improve our genealogical work. I look forward each week to attending the temple and feeling my Savior's love for me there.

0 comments: