Friday, March 6, 2009

Thoughtful Thursday- The Peacegiver, Part IV

In case you haven't noticed, Thoughtful Thursday repeatedly is late. Thursdays are crazy for me, so please bear with me.

This week I read part IV of the Peacegiver. It amazes me how beautifully written this book is. It captures the message so perfectly while still telling a wonderful story that I think all can relate to. We may not be on the brink of divorce as the couple in the book are, but we all have struggles in our relationships and sins that we need to repent of. How often do we judge others while still having major issues ourself.

Something that really struck me this time dealt with Christ's suffering in Gethsemane. When I think of this amazing time, I think of him suffering through all the sins, illnesses, loneliness, and heartache that all of earth have suffered. However the following is something that I never considered. "With all this sinfulness heaped upon him, he then had to withstand the unimaginable onslaught of the entire power and fury of the forces of hell, and do so, as Paul describes further "yet [remaining] without sin.' For Satan knew that if he could wield the power of his captivity - the chains of our sinfulness that lay ready to bind the Savior - and entice the Savior to sin, he would bring the Savior into his captivity as well. Then the destruction of agency would be complete, and mankind would be left without a way for their hearts to be purified and cleansed. There would therefore be no way for any of us to return to the Father, where only the clean and pure can dwell. . . On this night in Gethsemane, Satan is only one sin away from holding all creation in his hand."

WOW! I never thought of this. I never picture Satan working to tempt the Savior during his battle in Gethsemane. To imagine Christ suffering for us with having to withstand Satan is incredible. It brings a whole new light on the saying "taking our sins upon Him." I am truly grateful for the power of the atonement and all that the Savior has done for my family.

0 comments: