Friday, January 15, 2010

The Ups and Downs of Life

So this last week has been very challenging with Jesse. In many ways it isn't unexpected because he always struggled with school around the middle of the year, but it makes for some challenging days dealing with it all day, every day.

For example our day on Monday was horrid school wise. It took him 3 hours in the morning to do math, his best subject. He just was so unfocused and distracted. After that I got him through a few short lessons like spelling before lunch. He then left for a few hours with his PSR worker. When he came back it took him 7 hours to complete a reading test mainly because it had several short answer questions and a short essay and he HATES writing. We finally finished the test around 10 at night. I had had it and was very frustrated, but the rule is if he is being defiant he has to finish his school work that day no matter how late. We finally finished all his work at 11:45 at night, close to 15 hours after we first started in the morning. The good part about it was that in the past he would usually be belligerent in his defiance with school work, while that he he just sat and didn't work. I guess you take the good however small.

Several others days have been like that this week, just not the that extreme. Last week however, he did amazing every day in school. I guess so many days we could just find and even playing field so that I could know what to expect. I hate guessing what kind of a day it will be. I know this will never happen, but it is nice to dream I guess.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

You're such a good mom to do the right things for Jesse even though they are really tough!! I really admire you! I'm not sure how I'd handle that situation.

Shauna said...

I'm so sorry to hear you had such a hard day. I don't know how you have so much patience, I truly admire that in you. Hope all is well with the other kids, tell Tyler Hi for me.

Kurt and Michelle said...

Hannah-
I read your posts and always come away hoping to be as good of a mom as you are to your children. You work so hard for them, I know that even Jesse will appreciate it, it may not be today, but they will forever appreciate you love and devotion, we miss you guys!